Monday 25 January 2021

In Ruħu Dejjem Tfittex,  I tried to explain how Charles Casha gives such a job to Maltese literature. He creates a poetic prInovince through the art of language: all possible ideas, human actions, and feelings in the common world are placed in a fitting relationship with the readers’ general sensibility. When I read his poetry I frequently feel that my consciousness is being invaded by an existence that is similar to my state. Casha’s poetic function is not merely to experience the poetic situation, but to create it also in his readers. And in my book I touched on the transcendent assets of virtues and elegance that develop in his poetic mind.

 

Then in his creative prose (novels and short stories) Casha is mostly concerned with common contemporary reality to describe subjects and attitudes. Prose for him is a vehicle of the consciousness that must be directed towards assessing the quality of life in terms of the characteristics of the people found in the narratives. The whole range of his writing offers a valuing of personal life that attends to the general human life. Furthermore, his books for children are full of stories which provide a rich source for probing the young audience’s imaginative responses to literary situations. Even his humour, at times wittily compact, is a verbally elated flowering of comic situations – as found in the stories of the unforgettable Fra Mudest. I tried to show all these artistic efforts through language in Ruħu Dejjem Tfittex.


Professor Charles Briffa


No comments:

Post a Comment